and spirit...encouragement for your soul.

Hopefully this will be a place of resources and information for living a healthy lifestyle while feeding your soul. Recipes, links to helpful sites, words of encouragement and scripture....all to help you and your family make wise decisions for your life.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

God Bless My Living Tower Garden!



I can't believe it has been so long since I have written and published a page on this blog! Just another example of life getting in the way of my very good intentions.

My latest project is one that is NOT taking much time but is most enjoyable! Have you seen my tower garden? I'm posting pictures so you can see the difference in just one week of growing! Anyone who knows me knows how I love gardening. I can't claim much success with growing vegetables in Florida however. I have tried and failed many times. Flowers and shrubs are no problem. Vegetables have become a huge frustration!

God has chosen to bless me with this new way to grow my vegetables!! It's a hydroponic system grown in vertical towers. The technology isn't new. My brother, Joe, had a hydroponic tomato garden in 1962 as an FFA project. Those tomatoes were wonderful and he made a great deal of money over the summer of his sophomore year selling them. I'm not sure what chemicals and minerals were used back then but I do remember the tomatoes were grown in gravel troughs that were "flushed" several times per day with the liquid solution. (Burleigh Boulevard is now over those troughs.)

The big difference with the living towers is the minerals used in the water are all organic and the materials used in the towers are FDA approved food grade. I love the organic aspect and can't wait to harvest my first squash. I should have some ready next week, just in time for Thanksgiving. I have already been cutting and enjoying the larger leaves of the lettuce.

I added two more units so that I could add eight more plants. I now have 28 plants: yellow squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, peppers, bibb lettuce, red romaine, green romaine, green leaf lettuce, dill, basil, purple basil, Thai basil, thyme, chives.

I shall add green beans once some of the lettuce is finished producing. I am going to start seedlings this week and can't wait to harvest them in a several weeks.

I pray over my seedlings as they come forth into the world. I pray over my maturing vegetables and herbs. I thank God for this wonderful gift of technology. Think about it....no weeding, no stooping, no hoeing, no digging! Wow! Gardening surely has changed for the better! Gardening for dummies?

God bless my living tower garden!

3 comments:

  1. I love that!! Someday I'll just have to get one too----somehow, someway!!
    Happy Harvest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I see my sister saw this before I did! This looks really great...maybe something even I could do, with my totally un-green thumbs! Ha! So glad to see you back on here again with this blog! Welcome back! Hope you'll stick around blogville with me for awhile. It was getting rather lonesome out here!!

    ReplyDelete