and spirit...encouragement for your soul.

Hopefully this will be a place of resources and information for living a healthy lifestyle while feeding your soul. Recipes, links to helpful sites, words of encouragement and scripture....all to help you and your family make wise decisions for your life.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Birthday boy cooks!



It is my brother, Joe's, birthday week and he spent the weekend cooking for the entire neighborhood. Thursday was roasted chickens on the big green egg accompanied by grilled zucchini, yellow squash and onions. It was, as usual, outstanding. A day of laying in the sun, floating in the pool and eating good food while visiting with family is a good day.

Friday was my niece, Angela's, birthday. A large party of friends, neighbors and family was on again. This day was another day of floating and drinking, sunning and visiting (gossiping if the truth be known) followed by more picnicking. This time the menu was a little fancier. Joe grilled an entire rib eye on the spit. His Parmesan mashed potatoes are always the best accompaniment with the roast beef. The ever popular King salad was also a hit. The topping on the cake, so to speak, was a beautiful masterpiece of a birthday cake by Angela's friend, Joannah. Angela's friends were dressed up and sassy. What a beautiful group of young ladies. They partied 'til 2:00am. I was long ago in bed when all the younger folks left. Another good day!

Today was a day of sunning, swimming, drinking, eating and visiting. Are you getting the pattern? Today's menu was ribs on the Big Green Egg (a ceramic smoker) that we all had to smell for six hours. The aroma from the ribs made our taste buds perk up and our mouths water all day. Justin, my nephew, made a fabulous cole slaw, ML made a tasty pasta salad and Jerry made an appetizer of cerviche Atlantic salmon. I shall publish the recipe for the salmon on my other blog, "My Southern Table" if he will allow me. It was spicy with jalapenos, soy and onion.

Here's the really sad news....I could eat none of it. My diet is still on. I have lost a total of 16 pounds so far and I do not intend to stop until I reach my goal. You would be proud of me. No drinking, no snacking, no potatoes, no pasta salad, no cake!! I am very proud of myself. It wasn't easy. I love all that stuff but I didn't cheat. There has to be a reward for me somewhere down the line. Lord give me strength!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I AM proud of you. You had my mouth watering and drooling just reading about all of the delectable delights that were there for the picking...Can't wait to to see the "new you" when you reach your goal! You may even be able to get back into your majorette suit! Now THAT would be something! Glad you had fun...happy birthday to Joe. I think I missed it on his special day. So happy you were together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam! I am getting there and I appreciate the encouragement. I wasn't ashamed to be in a bathing suit this weekend for the first time in years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! what a feast --or feasts!! I don't know how you kept from eating it!! The ribeye would have done me in for sure!! Keep up the good work--just remember, you can't go back or it will come back!!!

    ReplyDelete