and spirit...encouragement for your soul.

Hopefully this will be a place of resources and information for living a healthy lifestyle while feeding your soul. Recipes, links to helpful sites, words of encouragement and scripture....all to help you and your family make wise decisions for your life.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Perfect Day and Great Food....Recipes Included!

I wrote a few days ago about our perfect weekend at the Rainbow River (Blue Run) in Dunnellon. (See below or post for May 17) I also promised to post the recipes and that's what I want to do today....along with any stories that come to mind.

My friend, Judy, is a wonderful cook and enjoys spending all day in the kitchen preparing for guests that will arrive in the early evening. Judy never seems to grow frazzled or in a hurry. She simply enjoys entertaining friends in her beautiful river home. The one difference I've notice in Judy's style of cooking and mine is she measures. I love trying new recipes and sometimes measure the first time but after that it's a little of this and that. The advantage to Judy's method is consistency. Her salads taste the same each time while mine vary. I like consistency and plan to do a little more measuring.

Here's the salad we enjoyed Saturday evening:

Regal Romaine Salad

5 slices bacon
2 heads Romaine lettuce, torn
2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
1 cup (4 ounces) grated Swiss cheese
2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 1/2 cups croutons

Dressing:
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Cook bacon until crisp. Drain, crumble and set aside. In a large salad bowl combine lettuce, tomatoes, cheeses, almonds and bacon. Pour dressing over salad and add croutons and toss.

Dressing: Whisk ingredients in a small bowl until well blended. Cover and let stand for 3 hours.

This salad was one of the lightest, freshest tasting salads I have enjoyed in a long time. I can't wait to take it to church for our pot luck on Friday night. I am usually asked to bring my King Salad, a recipe from a flight attendant friend, but I think it's time they all tried something new. I know they will love it.

I am also going to bring a vegetable dish as that is what I signed up for. (Judy's salad inspired me.) I am thinking I may bring my squash casserole. It's a recipe from my former mother-in-law and is always popular.

Tootsie's Squash Casserole

3 cups squash, sliced and cooked
1 small onion, chopped and cooked with squash
6 tablespoons butter
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup saltine crackers, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste

Drain cooked squash and onions. Add butter and cheese while squash is still hot. In a separate bowl mix beaten egg and milk. Add egg/milk mixture to squash the add the crackers. Pour into greased casserole dish and bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until set and top is slightly brown.

This is one of my family's favorites and always requested for holiday meals. Holidays wouldn't be the same without Tootsie's squash casserole. My granddaughter is now making this dish about as often as I. She is a gifted cook, enjoys cooking and is developing her skills each day.

I hope you enjoy. Call me if you have any questions.

1 comment:

  1. Both recipes sound wonderful...I esp. like squash recipes...something a little different than just plain cooked squash w/onions. Thanks for sharing. Also enjoyed your previous blog about the day at the river w/friends. Sounds like the place I've been dreaming of having someday.

    ReplyDelete