and spirit...encouragement for your soul.

Hopefully this will be a place of resources and information for living a healthy lifestyle while feeding your soul. Recipes, links to helpful sites, words of encouragement and scripture....all to help you and your family make wise decisions for your life.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Airport food, airplane food and hotel food....thank goodness for better choices today!

Today was a traveling day. We haven't done that in quite awhile and it brought back fond memories of my days as a flight attendant and not so fond memories of airports. Today's venture through security was not bad at all but the flight left at OH dark thirty, so we had to leave home at 0330. Since yesterday was hectic we had not planned well for nutrition. We arrived at the airport with empty stomachs, ravenous appetites and a long day ahead. Our choices were Burger King and Nathan's. We opted for a rubber egg sandwich on a burned, tasteless English muffin. Since we had made a wildly poor food choice anyway we also opted for a Starbuck's Frappuccino. I know, I know, I'm weak.

When we arrived in Cincinnati we rented a car and drove to Louisville, Kentucky (about 1 1/2 hours away) to visit Wayne's 91 year old Mom and younger brother. Fortunately, they live very near a Whole Foods Market. I love Whole Foods and could spend hours there just browsing. We purchase smoked chicken and grilled pear and cheddar sandwiches and corn and poblano pepper chowder. YUM!

I remember all those days as a flight attendant there were few healthy food choices and my diet consisted of airport food, airplane food (there was food on airplanes then) and hotel food. (Fortunately, I had Juice Plus to bridge the gap.) Before I retired though there were better options on layovers at hotels, markets and local restaurants. Even airplane food was much improved on "Song Airways."

I used to love to layover in Los Angeles so I could make a trip to Trader Joe's. Most of the flight attendants headed straight for wine aisle to load up on as much two buck chuck as they could carry. I headed straight to the veggie meatloaf, potatoes and fresh veggies aisle. I would fill the bathtub with ice to keep it cool inside the grocery bags and we would have a feast on the plane the next day.

Those days are long behind me now but I continue to marvel at how popular the organic, whole food markets have become. There are also many, many organic produce coops springing up. I have listed the one I belong to on the "Organic Produce" page. It is called "Veggie-Table" and we have fun bagging groceries and sharing the cost. Check it out if you live in the Eustis, Mount Dora, Tavares area. Healthy choices are easy today. Come join us. Also, see new recipe on the "Recipe" page.


Daniel 1:12-13 12Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulse to eat and water to drink. 13 Then let our countenances be looked upon before thee, and the countencance of the youths that eat of the king's dainties; and as thou seest, deal with thy servants.

No comments:

Post a Comment